Thread: Official RPR-OOC Thread

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    HI OKAY I STILL EXIST.

No worries about the superheroes RP! I wasn't really super concerned about the length, tbh. When I did Allie's app, I did it in WordPad, and I tend to use 12 point Arial on that (not because I can't see the default but because I like how it looks), and it just seemed longer in that than when I actually posted it, probably because of the font. xD

Need to read over all this Mystic Tales stuff y'all have talked about before I can really say much else, but from what I've skimmed, it's sounding good and I'm down for playing in it!

As for Crystalis, the whole premise from that was basically Crystalis is this crystal that could grant a wish to a good-hearted person, and then it would disappear for four years. If a bad person got their hands on it, the world as the characters knew it would come to an end. Only the first three RPs finished; we had started a fourth, but it never actually finished. Each one had a different bad guy too; I remember Crystalis 1's was Kumiko's brother, Kashiyo, and I'm pretty sure Crystalis 2's was Tyrant's brother, Masura (both Jack's characters), because we switched off on GMing it. I can't remember who the bad guy was in the other, and we never actually finished 4. The only real things that were really shared between the Crystalis RPs were the characters and the plot. I mainly used Kumiko Mirakala and Flame Pegasus in them, though I added Kumiko's sister, Toshiko Mirakala, in the 2nd Crystalis, and Jack mainly used Tyrant Majiki and Tyrant's siblings, Masura and another female whose name I forget at the moment. I think we had a few others in Crystalis, though it was mainly Jack and I that did it; I can't remember if y'all ever signed up or nah tbh. It was so long ago. xD Kumiko and Tyrant ended up getting into a relationship and later getting married and having kids, and that was something that carried throughout the series. I think that's pretty much everything important?

We never really expanded past the whole "bad guy gets Crystalis, heroes go and save it from the bad guy" thing, tbh. I remember Crystalis 1 ending pretty much right after Flame made the wish for midgets to rule the world for four years because it was already pretty expansive and went all over the place since the person who was originally running it ended up going inactive, and I had asked the person who modded C/D's RP section (I forget who exactly it was, but I think it was someone named Anubis?) at the time if I could take it over and see it to completion; mod said yes, and those of us that were left went and saw it to completion. I don't remember if anything really significant happened in 2. I'm pretty sure in 3, we had a bit of a thing at the end where a friend of Masura's came in and started some trouble and Kumiko ended up getting stabbed in the neck but surviving because yay magic.

I'm not sure if anything I've said would be worthy of fitting into Monsters & Heroes, but yeah, that's pretty much Crystalis in a nutshell from what I can remember. If I personally bring anything over from the Crystalis series, it'll most likely just be characters, and I'll probably rework those too, tbh. (And by probably, I mean most likely.) I'll have to see what happens when I get to character creation. I'm using a version of Kumiko and Flame in a Pokemon RP I'm in too (not that I've been very good at keeping up with replies on that over the two weeks I haven't been here xD), so it'll probably be characters I never really explored much in Crystalis... or just new ones based off the old ones. We'll see.

Ideally though, if I ever did bring Crystalis back here, I'd probably want to overhaul it so that there's more to it than the whole "bad guy gets Crystalis, heroes go and save it from the bad guy" thing it used to have and basically make it less straightforward because the RP would basically be "heroes group up, heroes go to Yurasi Village (if I remember correctly, that was the village's name), heroes rest, heroes go to Harsader Village to rest, heroes go to Crystalis, fight bad guy, make wish, the end." If I remember correctly, I think the fourth Crystalis was set eight years beyond the third, four years longer compared to the time gap between Crystalis 1 and 2 and Crystalis 2 and 3. It was meant to be a "next generation" kinda thing where Kumiko and Tyrant's kids -- Haku, Chihiro, Kyoko, and I think also Kazuko -- went on their first Crystalis mission. I'd likely go with something along those lines to maintain the history of the original Crystalis story, but probably also change some names so as not to rip off Jack's characters. So basically next generation revamped Crystalis kinda deal, but with a more in depth plot or something is what I'd do if I ever decided to GM it again. I wouldn't want to do it anytime soon though since I'd need to develop the idea and whatnot, but hey, I have this basic premise posted here in case I ever do want to go back to it! xD

The fact that you remember all that is impressive in it's own right. Haha.

But it was helpful, I definitely was not a part of it.

Goddamn, I wasn't expecting something that long when I asked about Crystalis, lmao!

You sound pretty passionate about the Crystalis series. Hell, I don't even think I remember 80% of the stories Admiral and I wrote, aside from a few basic premises and characters. xD

In terms of taking anything, I don't think the concept of there being a MacGuffin that grants wishes would work well in M&H's setting, which is supposed to play on theme of consequences behind actions. It's the same reason I've completely omitted god-like entities and objects known as the Time Swords, which were a staple for the Mystic Tales; if there were things that could pull a Deus Ex Machina, it wouldn't really be a lot of fun in the long run since there's no genuine risk or meaning behind a character's decision.

Seems like you got a grasp on the characters, though. I'm curious if you're going to re-use any of them for M&H, which is actually what I hope for as M&H is supposed to be the ultimate revamp of our oldest works, which includes our first characters. Also, I am super curious how Blaise and Flame would interact, considering the former was literally based off the latter! xD

Strangely enough, the premise of Crystalis, as in the crystal itself, seems similar to the short spin-off I am working on that ties in with M&H's universe. This spin-off is currently very simple and short, as it's layout is inspired by the casual Lounge RP.

The premise revolved around random people visiting an abandoned temple. Their reason for visiting could vary: they either come because they hear of some ethereal power that can warp reality to match one's desires, or they're literally just there to sight-see (there might be a popular store in the temple to give them a better reason). The gimmick is, this temple contains a portal which leads into the world of Limbo, where two omnipotent forces (The Temple's Guardian and a Witch) are locked in an endless loop fighting over this ethereal power, which ensures that it can never escape from the temple's boundaries (meaning it can never affect M&H's story). In the world of Limbo, literally anything can happen and it also alludes to the events of Mystic Tales, as an attempt to give some closure for those stories but also parody some tropes.

The tone of this spin-off is very frivolous and comedic, serving as a breather whenever M&H's workload gets too heavy. It also serves as a place for expedition that helps with M&H's lore, as both the Guardian and the Witch explain many things that may never be touched upon in M&H.

However, I am curious to see if you would like to expand this spin-off of mine into something bigger, if you feel there's potential. As I do not want to GM two RPs simultaneously, I have no plans to expand on this spin-off myself and it's literally just a RP where random characters lounge around for shits and giggles.

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    xD Crystalis was actually one of my favorite RPs when I was younger, so I guess that's why I remember so much of it. Not sure why it was my favorite though, tbh. I also actually wanted to turn it into story form for NaNoWriMo a few years ago, but I never actually fleshed it out enough to run with it and I ended up writing something else that year.

As for characters, I'm pretty sure I won't use Kumiko in the story as a main character. I feel like I've already developed her quite a bit from Crystalis, and I'd like to expand upon other characters. I'll most likely use one of her siblings though, either Toshiko or Kashiyo, since I never really played them as much as I played Kumiko. I could probably still use Flame even though her and Kumiko were already good friends and she was pretty close to her siblings too; I'd have to write it off as them not knowing each other, but tbh, I never really specified how they met in the first place, so perhaps this could give me an opportunity to do that. I'll have to think about it. I'll probably start one of the apps in a couple days. Gonna sleep on whether or not I should play Toshiko or Kashiyo. xD I'm thinking Toshiko may be more fun, so I'm leaning more towards her right now.